Magnesium during pregnancy and breastfeeding
The body’s magnesium requirement is higher during pregnancy and breastfeeding due to a number of different factors. But maintaining the right magnesium supply is essential for the health of the mother and child. So doctors frequently prescribe magnesium products such as the Biolectra® magnesium range from the onset of pregnancy until breastfeeding stops.
At a glance: the daily magnesium requirement during pregnancy and breastfeeding
* Recommendation from the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ernährung (German Nutrition Society) (DGE):
- Pregnancy: 310 mg
- Pregnant women under 19: 350 mg
- Breastfeeding mothers: 390 mg
Did you know, for example, that the unborn child stored up to 7 mg magnesium per day in the last three months of pregnancy? That’s because: The child grows and triples its body weight during this period, so it needs more minerals. This makes it absolutely clear that: Magnesium is essential in pregnancy.
The magnesium requirement is even higher during breastfeeding: During this period, it should be around 390 mg magnesium a day. Breastfeeding mothers transfer some of the mineral to their child.
Pregnant? Magnesium performs a variety of functions
Magnesium has many functions in the body during pregnancy. For example, the mineral helps to reduce fatigue and exhaustion, which is a real relief for many expectant mothers.
An adequate magnesium supply is also important for maintaining normal protein synthesis (formation of new proteins) and supporting cell division, process that are important for the child’s development.
Magnesium during pregnancy: Its functions
- … helps to reduce fatigue and exhaustion
- ... supports cell division in mother and child
- ... is of benefit for vital muscle function
- ... is important for normal protein synthesis
Taking Biolectra® Magnesium 400 mg ultra Direct in conjunction with a diet that is rich in magnesium is a simple and easy way to take your recommended dose of magnesium and ensure you have an adequate magnesium intake during pregnancy and breastfeeding:
- it covers the higher magnesium requirement during this special period
- it is pleasantly fruity, in orange or lemon flavour
- it helps to maintain electrolyte balance and muscle function
But remember: Although magnesium product is well tolerated by the body, pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should still consult their gynaecologist before taking magnesium products.